When you wake up in the morning, most of the time, all you want is to have a nice hot cup of coffee. Once this magic cup of joe kicks in, you perk right up and are ready to face the day. In fact, to some caffeine addicts, the day might not even start without a cup of coffee.
But, at the end of a long day, it is also nice to have a soothing cup of hot tea, which can help you unwind and even fall asleep. Some people even prefer drinking tea in the morning because they can get some caffeine without the jitters.
Of course, tea and coffee drinkers both have a wide variety of blends and varietals to choose from, and naturally, are loyal to their drink of choice. Since they both have caffeine, which one is better for your health, coffee or tea? The following information will delve deeper into the two drinks and set the record straight.
To determine which drink is healthier for you, we must first look at the advantages and disadvantages of each beverage. So, let’s begin with coffee, which, as it turns out, could pack much more than your morning energy boost.
Coffee is loaded with antioxidants and is excellent for your health, which could be why coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of developing serious diseases. There have been human studies conducted to verify the health benefits of coffee, and they have confirmed the following health benefits:
· Improved energy levels and increased brain functions.
· Increased metabolic rates and fat burning, which leads to weight loss.
· Improved physical performance when exercising, working, or performing daily tasks.
· A single cup of coffee also contains essential nutrients including riboflavin, magnesium, niacin, potassium, manganese, riboflavin, and pantothenic acid.
· Lowers your risk of type II diabetes.
· Could protect you from diseases like dementia, Alzheimer’s, and Parkinson’s.
· Coffee has protective effects on the liver.
· Fights against depression and increases happiness, which has led to a decreased risk of suicide.
· Lowers the risks of developing some types of cancer.
· Contains an abundant source of antioxidants.
Now that you know the many reasons why drinking coffee is an excellent idea, you should be aware of the risks, so that you are truly making an informed decision. After all, what is a pro list without the cons? So, without further ado, the following details the risks, or disadvantages, of drinking coffee:
· Causes restlessness and insomnia.
· Raises blood pressure.
· Stains your teeth.
· The acidic nature of coffee can lead to heartburn.
· Coffee is a mild diuretic, so it will lead to dehydration.
· Can decrease the absorption of some minerals in the body.
· May cause auditory hallucinations.
Afterlooking at the benefits and drawbacks of coffee, it is now time to take a closer look at tea, which is a little bit more complex because there are several different types. For instance, there is green tea, oolong tea, white tea, black tea, or Pu Erh tea, and that is just naming a few.
Tea has been consumed for thousands of years and is considered the most popular drink in the world. In addition to drinking tea, doctors have used it to treat disease, improve longevity, and bring more vitality. With all the different types of tea, they all have separate properties, all of which are advantageous. Here are a few of the many benefits of drinking this beverage:
· Oolong and green tea are anti-cancer plants.
· Helps to aid in concentration and focus.
· Helps to fight illnesses and soothe the symptoms associated with many common maladies.
· Reduces stress.
· Boosts metabolism and helps you lose weight.
These all might sound like amazing benefits, but before you pour yourself a hot cup of tea, you should be aware of the following drawbacks:
· Restlessness or a stressful night sleep.
· The oxalates in tea have been linked to kidney damage.
The Verdict: Coffee or Tea?
If you scan through the benefits and drawbacks of both drinks, you might notice some similarities between the two. For instance, we already know that both drinks provide the energy boost we need, and because of that caffeine, they can keep us awake at night. Also, you may have noticed that they also have some serious disease fighting properties. So, which one is better for your health?
Although both drinks have amazing health benefits, coffee is actually much better for you than tea. In fact, according to several studies, coffee consumption can even save your life. If you are wondering exactly how a single beverage can do this, it begins with that morning pick me up. When people say that they cannot live without their coffee, there is more to that statement than you might think.
Accordingly, studies show that having a cup of coffee is proven to reduce depression and stress, while a cup of tea arouses feelings of loneliness. Also, coffee drinkers have a 10 percent decreased risk of heart disease and a reduced risk of diabetes. Not to mention the fact that coffee drinkers are happier, more alert, and have an easier time losing those few extra pounds.
Both coffee and tea provide several health benefits, and if you prefer one over the other, you can still reap the rewards of your favorite beverage. If you drink both from time to time, however, you should consider packing up the tea, and brewing yourself a nice hot cup of coffee.